Thursday, November 7, 2013

Thoughts on Our First Craft Fair

Last week I wrote that I was planning on packing up Marion's Mittens and heading to a craft fair for the first time. The fair had its ups and downs but overall, it was a success!


The Good

The table looked great. (I later changed things so that the tags were not visible.) My packing list was comprehensive enough that I didn't feel like I'd forgotten anything. It helped to have an "assistant" to pack up the sold merchandise and carry things in! Next time I probably won't have that luxury.



The Not-So-Good

The turnout for the show was not that great.  I'd say only about 30 people stopped at the table. While it was located next to the entrance, it was not within sight of those walking in; they focused on the other tables across the room and headed there first. By the time they were ready to leave they did see the table but had spent enough or had somewhere else to be. So that was disappointing. But, of those 30 that stopped, at least 10 bought mittens, so that seems like a great percentage!

Next Time

Next time I'll research the anticipated turnout a little bit better and do my homework to see that the show has been advertised to more than just Craigslist and the local classifieds. I was disappointed that the committee were putting out signs the morning of the show. The location was an industrial area and if people had seen the signage during their commutes the day before, it might've helped.

Someday I'd also like to have a display for the mittens. I think that some type of wooden dowel rack would be a great way to display them. I did use a small basket for the baby mittens - they were a big hit and will have a new name at our next fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment