Saturday, November 30, 2013

Managing Orders During the Holiday Season

The holidays are a busy time, especially for cold-weather items! Mittens make a great gift because they stretch to fit and come in many colors.

The busiest time of year for Marion's Mittens is during the months of November and December. Temperatures drop and people start thinking about holiday gifts.

I have a little system in place to help process orders quickly. I usually ship within 1 day of purchase despite working a full time job.

Everything's on sale Friday-Monday!

Inventory Management

I use a simple database to track my inventory. This way I know exactly what sizes and colors are on hand.  Later on, I can look back at the best sellers and make sure there are plenty of those in stock next time.

I keep the mittens neatly stacked and organized by size and color so it's easy to find a pair that's been sold.

During the busy season we do not take custom orders. (Well, we do, but don't promise them any time soon!) It's much simpler to keep the orders flowing from existing inventory.

Packaging Supplies

I wrote a little bit about packaging supplies once before. During the busier time of year I keep them at the ready! The basics are:

  • Poly envelopes
  • Printable shipping labels
  • Tissue paper
  • Colored paper for receipts
  • Digital scale for weighing packages

Online Postage

Etsy makes it easy to pay for postage right through my shop. It's cheaper than at the Post Office and I can leave the package in my mailbox for pickup. No lines.  :)

I use my Staples rewards from recycling ink to buy supplies like shipping labels. I've found that the Avery 8126 5.5" x 8.5" labels work well in my printer.

No comments:

Post a Comment