Monday, October 6, 2014

Make Your Own Halloween Inspired Pumpkin and Paw Mittens for Kids

It seems like there are critters all over everything these days... cat hats, fox sweaters, and owl everything. This inspired me to make some of the mini mittens for babies and toddlers appropriate for Halloween! In this tutorial I'll explain what I made and how I did it.

pumpkin / jack o'lantern mini mittens

paws mini mittens

Supplies


  • Felt (black and yellow for pumpkins; pink for paws)
  • Beacon Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
  • Sharp scissors
  • Mittens or gloves

Jack O'Lantern Mittens


I started out by creating paper templates, but I discovered that after I'd cut one set out of felt, it was easier to use the felt templates! For each pair you'll need:
  • A triangle shape - 6 of these make up both eyes and the nose
  • A tiny dot - 4 of these make the pupils, if desired
  • A mouth - 2 in whatever shape you like!
eyes and nose for jack o'lantern mittens

pupils for jack o'lantern mittens

mouth template

I glued the jack o'lantern faces onto the backs of the hands. Just a very thin layer of glue is needed. Press each piece on firmly for a few seconds. If you're worried about the glue bleeding through inside the mitten or glove, you can put a piece of cardboard inside.

Paw Mittens


The paws are a little less tedious to cut out because the shapes don't need to be so precise. I simply Googled "cat paw" and found an image I liked. I drew a template based on that freehand. For each pair you'll need:
  • A large oval shape - 4 of these for the large toes
  • A small oval shape - 4 of these for the small toes
  • A big bean shape - 2 of these for the pads

Of course, you can also get creative and make claws or other shapes! I glued these pieces onto the palms of the mittens so it'll look like the kids have paws when they're wearing them.

Did you try this craft? Let me know by sharing your photos below! I'd love to see your creations.

And if you're not crafty, you can purchase your own pair of jack o'lanterns or paws in the Marion's Mittens mini mittens shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment