Sunday, September 9, 2018

Knitted Items at the County Fair - 2018 Edition

This year marked my fourth year entering handmade items in the county fair and the second year of entering some items for Marion. It's always exciting to see if we win any ribbons and to find out what comments the judges leave for our items.

Knitted Baby Sweater

Marion's baby sweater took first place! She recently gave me this vintage cardigan to list on our Etsy shop. It's yellow with an extra special white detail along the top. She's been knitting baby sweater sets in this pattern for more than 70 years. The judge's note? "Perfect."

hand knitted baby sweater

Knitted Hat

Marion's baby bonnet is knitted to match the sweater set, although I entered a plain white one that didn't match the yellow sweater. It won second place!

knitted baby bonnet

Knitted Baby Booties

These booties are typically part of the sweater and bonnet set. They won second place.

knitted baby booties

Scarf

My super soft and textured purple cowl received a second place ribbon. I wasn't sure how it'd do since it's not a traditional scarf. I'm glad the judges liked it as much as I do!

textured purple cowl

Children's Mittens

I made a last-minute decision to enter a pair of our thumbless mini mittens instead of a pair of kids' mittens like I usually do. It turned out to be the right decision! My mini mittens took first place in this class.

knitted mini mittens


Interested in trying to make a pair of these yourself? The pattern is on Ravelry and Etsy!

4-Needle Mittens

This class was a head-to-head competition for us. I entered a pair of mittens that Marion made as well as a pair I've been working on this summer. Marion's were made from Caron Simply Soft Party in Fuchsia Sparkle and I used an alpaca fiber. I knitted the thumbs onto my mittens the night before entries had to be dropped off. They were a bit small but I didn't have time to do them over.

Marion, the original mitten maker, won the class! My mittens were right behind in second place. It was the perfect way to close out the fair and the summer.

knitted mittens

knitted mittens


More fun at the fair: 2017 | 2016 | 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment